06 December 2014

Yes, There is Always a Travel Bump in the Road



The flight to Houston went off without a hitch and even though the flight from Houston left 20 minutes late, we arrived in Munich 20 minutes early.  We didn't have to complete a customs form as in all my other trips and so we breezed through customs.  However, when I got to baggage claim, this panic came over me.  Where is my camera case?  Yes, I had left my camera case containing my digital camera, cell phone, a little Sony recorder, and all my Euro coins in the plane under my seat.   Normally, I sit to where your personal item is put under the seat in front of you.  I was like "shit" I don't know what to do since I'm normally so darn paranoid about forgetting something. I caught a lady from Lufthansa who suggested I go across to their mini ticket counter and get assistance.   I spoke with one of the gentlemen and he asked for my baggage claim, which I had.   He slowly tried to call a number and then tried another number.  I'm thinking to myself "come on dude - speed it up."   Flying on United I wasn't sure how things would move along.   He gave the contact on the phone my flight number, seat assignment and what I left.  He said "they will check the plane and call me back - just wait here."   I also had not claimed my luggage coming off the plane yet, so I told him I would go get that and come back (however, I was a little uncertain that bag would arrive).  Grabbed it and headed back to the Lufthansa counter and nothing had been heard.  I was thinking "man this is gonna ruin the whole trip, but at least I had my iPad that I could take pictures with."

The telephone rang and somebody upstairs was looking out for me because they found the camera bag and were going to bring it to me.    Woohoo   I must have been a good girl!!! 

The weather here is low to mid-30's and even though it's that cold, it didn't really bother me.   Once I got into my hotel room I freshened up a bit and headed for the S-bahn to go to Marienplatz and check out churches and the Christmas market.  They are refurbishing two of the churches so outside pictures are not so good.  Here are some pics of Marienplatz





My first church was Theatinerkirche, which was being refurbished so there was scaffolding covering the towers.


Next stop was Frauenkirche



From Frauenkirche I went to Michaelskirche which was being refurbished so one of the towers had scaffolding.  Also it was closed because of a concert.  I will try and visit it again tomorrow and hopefully it will be open.  


Following Michaelskirche was Peterskirche.  Here I climbed the 306 steps up the tower to get a panoramic view of Marienplatz.  But what goes up must come down, so that mean 306 steps down.  I was seeing the Great Wall all over again where I wasn't sure I could get down or walk afterwards.  








Lunch was so very wonderful.  I had Goulash Soup and Potato Pancakes at The Ratskeller.  It is a very large and popular restaurant below Marienplatz.  Tempted to eat there again tomorrow but think I should try a new place.  Hmmm!

I plan to sample the Gluhwein tomorrow - hope I can get back to the hotel on the metro.  All the smells and atmosphere here is contagious.  Musical groups playing on various street corners.




The weather is in the low to mid-30's and even though it's that cold, it doesn't seem that bad.  It was even drizzlling late afternoon.  Not minding - just soaking it all in.  IT'S WONDERFUL and only Munich.  What's next?  Stay tuned!!!!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment